In all its simplicity, the Old Fashioned remains as relevant and appreciated as when it first captured drinkers' interest 200 years ago. When it comes to an Old Fashioned, the rule of thumb is to use a good bourbon you would sip by itself. There are many other cocktails out there designed to mask subpar alcohol, but an Old Fashioned is not one of them.
Ingredients You'll Need
- 2 oz. bourbon
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- 3 dashes of Angostura bitters
- 1 tsp. water
- Orange peel
- Add sugar and bitters to the glass, then add water and stir until the sugar nearly dissolves.
- Rotate the glass, so the sugar and bitters give it a lining
- Fill the glass with large ice cubes
- Add bourbon and gently stir
- Express the orange peel over the glass, then drop it in the drink.